Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Another rainy day?!?!?

Isn't it suppose to be "April showers bring May flowers"? Then what's with all this wet weather?....oh, it's almost April.

On days like today I find myself reading and writing more than usual. As I was going through my normal media intake routine, I found myself comparing different Green products and services and it got me to thinking about a VERY popular misconception in our particular field of service. A lot of people ask me if we charge more because we are a Green company. These are typically people who have never used our services or received a quote for service. After reviewing some of the "Green" products I found onlne, I came to a conclusion. Green is expensive.

After a short search of the "World Wide Web" it was easy to see that you can expect to pay between 25-65% more for a product In the name of ecology. I understand a desire to preserve the planet and I understand the need to do our parts as individuals and especially as corporations but I can not see paying $29.99 for a thermos made out of recycled happy meal toys. My biggest problem with this is the fact that a large portion of the time these Green products are actually worse for you and the environment than their $2.00 counterpart. Early in the year I blogged on plastics with traces of BPA in them (read earlier post). This material is used when recycling plastics and has been shown to cause a list of negative effects on the human body especially women and young children. As if that wasn't enough, more often than not the recycled material being used is not post-consumer. This means that the materials they are recycling have never been used. That's a problem for me. This not only offers no benefit to post consumer waste issue it ,in a way, encurages corporations to over product a cheap product and then donate it for a "Green initiative credit" resulting in a much more valuable tax credit. You can see how this slide of hand doesn't benefit anyone but the comoanies making a massive profit on your sympathy for a good cause.


I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy recycled products or that you shouldn't support companies that are genuinely trying to make a difference in their feild, what I'm saying is understand why you're doing something before you do it. Turn the box over before you buy that matching pair of recycled coffee mugs and see where the materials were sourced from 99% of the products will have it listed (at least a percentage of pre or post consumer materials used).

Now that I've gotten way off track from what I originally had planned I will just make a shameless GreenClean plug. We offer a superior service for a competitive price because we not only believe in giving back to our planet but we also believe in giving back to our community. The best way we know how to do that is through the services that we provide and local charities. We encourage you to give freely and live freely. Smile as often as possible and love like there is no tomorrow because tomorrow is not guaranteed.


Help us support the Arnald family by helping to send young Brady Arnold to China to receive stem cell treatments to help in his life long battle agains Optic Nerve Hyproplasia. Visit www.Bradysjourneyforsight.com for more information on Brady and how you can make a difference in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment